[Sugar-devel] seeking feedback on sketch of a new color selector

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Nov 11 12:31:03 EST 2009

Hi Walter,

On 11 Nov 2009, at 15:48, Walter Bender wrote:

> I made a patch to the color selector on the About Me panel to make it
> a little easier to navigate the color selections. Please see my screen
> cast at http://dailymotion.virgilio.it/video/xb42um_color-selector_tech
> .

I needed to watch through a number of times before I could work out
the logic for the colours of the two smaller buddy icons. First couple
of times through I thought one was a swapped fill/stroke, and the
other was a 'light' version, then third time through I decided they
must all just be random, finally I twigged that it was a scrolling
history moving from right to left (small <-- big <-- small).

Quick thoughts:

- What you have now would be visually understandable after a single
click if you added a brief transition animation so that the icons
scroll left/right and resize (like a carousel).

- Not convinced you need the undo icon if you can add the transition
animation, it feels slightly odd at the moment that the undo is right
next to the yet too be seen new colour combination (perhaps it could
go above or below the centre icon if it really needs to stay in the
design).

- The alternative is to have N small buddy icons around the central
large icon, where the small icons are a close variation of the central
large icon colours. Clicking the centre icon picks a completely new
random base set of colours; clicking any small icon moves it to the
centre large position, and generates a new set of small variants. The
colour variants could just be +/- small random steps from the main
base colours, or have some spacial meaning (left/right could be +/-
fill colour, up/down could be +/- stroke colour).

Regards,
--Gary