[Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Get Books Activity 3, now with SneakerNet/ChappalNet support

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 17:46:53 EST 2009

Sayamindu,

I'm not sure why you think you'd need to use multithreading to deal
with the multiple chunks.  Can't you just bring them in one at a time,
parse as you go, and then display the finished result set all at once?

I saw your Get Books activity got praised on the OLPC blog as being a
key part of their latest efforts with Internet Archive books.  (My
name was listed also, but it was clearly your Activity they were
praising).  It just seemed to me that it would be a good idea to give
your efforts an official status (its own git repository, wiki page,
ASLO downloads, etc.) as soon as possible.  Even with the shortcomings
you mention it deserves that much.

If you want to keep the original around for awhile it's fine with me.
In the short run it won;'t hurt anything.  In the long term it makes
more sense to have just one Activity to find and get books on the
Internet and just one Activity to read them.  I understood from you
that eventually Read would be able to use the formats I wrote View
Slides and Read Etexts for.  Those Activities could also stay around
but they might be of more use to teachers and other adults than they
would be to the young students Sugar is targetted at.

James Simmons