[Sugar-devel] Volunteer Opportunity

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Fri Nov 6 20:36:14 EST 2009

On 6 Nov 2009, at 22:03, Sascha Silbe wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 12:17:32PM -0800, Edward Cherlin wrote:
>
>> My experience is that the problems with Collaboration are basic
>> problems with mesh networking, presumably in hardware, drivers, and
>> protocols.
> While I can't (and won't) rule out the local network links (i.e.
> WLAN in whatever mode), I'm usually connected to a Jabber server
> using wired networks; still Collaboration doesn't work reliably.

+1

I occasionally run test sessions of 4-6 VM Sugar clients using Salut
on an internal network (VM simulated, never touching wire/wireless)
and even basic buddy presence often borks out after ~20min of use. The
usual fail case is that one client stops seeing all others, but all
others always pretend to see the missing client (even if it is really
not there). The only resolution is to reboot all VM clients and hope
they all can see each other for a while longer.

The often mentioned 'it's poor wireless' may well be an issue in some
cases, but it's certainly not the main one I see when testing
collaboration, I dread to think what a class of 30 kids would see if
collaboration was needed as a core part of a 40min lesson.
Unfortunately I'm out of my depth on making much head way in pin
pointing the issues (at one point I even started thinking it was dbus
intermittently dropping messages).

Regards,
--Gary