[Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Get Books Activity 3, now with SneakerNet/ChappalNet support

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 15:45:35 EST 2009

Sayamindu,

Regarding the "friendly fork" of Get Internet Archive Books, I'm
thinking that perhaps you will soon have Get Books in good enough
shape that the original Activity will no longer be needed, and at that
point you should merge your clone with the mainline and take over the
Activity.  About the only thing that GIAB can do that you can't (yet)
is give the user a choice of download formats.  It shouldn't be too
tough to implement that option if you restrict it to the Internet
Archive.

I could rename the original Activity in ASLO and rename its wiki page,
then give you authority in git to update the mainline.  You would need
to renumber your Activity version to number 4, as GIAB is currently at
version 3.

It's pretty clear that GIAB is a dead end and what you're doing is the
future.  You've even addressed the future needs of the Rural Design
Collective for distributing children's books on a thumb drive, which
was something I had hoped to do with GIAB at some point.

Let me know what you think.

James Simmons