[Sugar-devel] On Sugar 0.84 - status of the "Chat/collab leader" issue...

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Nov 6 08:02:30 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 13:16, Benjamin M. Schwartz
<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Martin Langhoff wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 9:54 PM, David Van Assche <dvanassche at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> moving to mission control 5 and letting go of the admittedly
>>> antiquated sugar presence now
>> If you play with a major component replacement
>>
>>  - test it for scalability & stability over wifi before doing a lot of
>> integration work
>
> It's worth noting that moving from the Sugar Presence Service to Mission
> Control 5 would not alter our network protocols.  This is purely a change
> in how the client software is organized.  Neither regression nor
> improvement in wireless network performance should occur.

Was about to say this, the work means making sugar activities' code
more similar to GNOME apps, while also removing a daemon. This could
have some effect on how the network is used, but chances are it won't.

As a first step in removing the PS, I think we should try to implement
the python presence API with MC5 instead of PS. Then we can either
drop the PS or make it a compatibility shim with MC5 while activities
such as eToys make the move.

We can also take the chance to develop a better API if there's need for it.

But in any case, we need to do some exploration now before we can
discuss it in detail.

Regards,

Tomeu

Farning