[Sugar-devel] Mesh

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 10:25:48 EST 2009

The telepathy-salut connection works on the basis of Avahi (sometimes
called Bonjour) Sometimes also called local-xmpp, and telepathy itself
creates the connections by selecting the connection manager via
Mission control through a dbus method called "RequestConnection" Salut
is kind of an untrusted protocol,in that it doesnt require a password,
like gabble does. Makes it great for ease of use for schools. For
example, Guadalinex-edu has a small app that puts users into groups by
creating local link Multi user chatrooms (teacher creates  these) and
students then join their relevant classroom from a selection of
classrooms/subjects. The association to the MUC then allows for lots
of cool telepathy/xmpp stuff, like transmission of configuration
files, pause,play video/ausio files, switching on/off of certain
software automatically, dtube remote control (teacher can powerdown
laptops, lower voume remotely, lots of other remote control stuff)
Dtubes are really quite awsome, we just haven't thought about all the
possible uses yet.

Telepathy itself could use pretty much any connection manager, though
the XOs are limited to using gabble when there is a jabber server
present, and Salut if not. The actual mesh connection is done on a
hardware level though and is totally unique to the XO as in no other
laptop that I know of has working mesh network capable cards. I think
maybe classmate has capable meshing on some level but its not really
switched on. Unfortunately its meshing suffers from uncontrolled
multicasting, which quickly saturates the the airwaves and brings down
communication with 10+ laptops meshing. It's a cool concept though....
but realistically the implementation isn't all that great... not that
I'm saying I could do any better at all :-) Just stating some
observations...

kind Regards,
David Van Assche

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Cecilia Abalde wrote:
>> I think I understood salut ytelepathy gabble telepathy.
>> My question now is:
>> to salut telepathy works there must be some established network?
>> for example a mesh network or a wifi network
>
> Yes.  All of the Telepathy protocols require that there be a working local
> network connection.  They operate on top of a network such as wired
> ethernet, wifi, or mesh.
>
> Of course, the interesting thing about mesh networks (and also "ad hoc"
> networks) is that they are very easy to create, because all you need are
> the laptops.
>
> --Ben

Samuel Goldwyn  - "I'm willing to admit that I may not always be
right, but I am never wrong." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/samuel_goldwyn.html