No subject

Sun May 31 08:28:51 EDT 2009

Low memory machines would already be setup to page to disk.
Would ameliorate the slow booting of dedicated Sugar machines.
Would ameliorate filesystem performance issues caused by USB 1.1 ports.

>> Is there someplace
>> obvious that one could look at in a user's home directory to figure
>> out what version of Sugar is
>> on the stick in order to refuse to run if versions are different?
>
> Well, the DS directory has a file containing the version of the dir
> layout and index format, would that be enough?

It wouldn't be complete.   I asked about Sucrose + Ribose explicitly
because that encompasses
the entirety of likely compatibility issues.   DS versioning might be
the most important one, but not
the only one possible.

BTW, one wacky idea I had was to have multiple SoaS versions on the
hard drive in the same format as on USB flash and after figuring out
which one matched the stick, boot that one off the hard disk while
using the stick for the users home directory and the root filesystem
overlay file.   I'm not sure
how to go about determine the SoaS from the squasfs/kernel/initrd file
either.  I don't recall
of the isolinux.cfg file has this info or not.    This might be a
better way to determine a sticks
SoaS version rather then looking in the home directory though.

Bill Bogstad