No subject

Sun May 31 08:28:51 EDT 2009

on the development side.

The questions that people are posing today are not easy
to answer.  If we intend to keep the abstraction barrier clean between
distribution and upstream Sugar development, we should _not_ be
devoting resources to SoaS.

On the other hand, product only flows through the distribution chain
as long as there is a compelling enough reason for _each_ stage of the
chain to _push_ the product through to the next stage.  The product
must flow through Sugar Labs to a distributor to a hardware vendor to
get in the hands of users.

By booting from a live USB key, we bypass the hardware vendor.
Currently no distributions are actively promoting SoaS.  So, from a
market development point of view, until someone else start pushing
Sugar, it looks like Sugar Labs will need to promote SoaS it'self.

How should Sugar Labs define SoaS? What should Sugar Labs call Sugar
on a USB Key?  I don't know .  As Sugar Labs has grown, we have
picked up a wide variety of people with a wide variety of skills.
Luckily, we have pick up some skilled marketing people.

It seems that the tension forms because effectively communicating the
Sugar Labs message requires a steady, consistent repetition of
_memorable_ 'themes'.  The term 'Sugar on a Stick' while consistent
and memorable to a teacher seems sloppy and imprecise to a developer.

thanks
david

1. http://schoolkey.net

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Sean DALY<sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having difficulty with this launch (which was originally planned
> for three months from now :-)
>
> We're making it, but it's a pressure situation...
>

> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 2:08 AM, Martin Dengler<martin at martindengler.com>=
 wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 01:50:00AM +0200, Sean DALY wrote:
>>> Martin - we worked out Flavors at the marketing meetings
>>
>> Ok. =C2=A0It'd be nice if there was a mail sometime stating that. =C2=A0=
I guess