[Sugar-devel] Progress with SoaS boot-helper

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Fri May 29 11:04:43 EDT 2009

On a related subject, I am also actively researching Mac USB boot
methods. A few weeks ago an Ubuntu developer posted
(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=995704&page=77) a "fat" .EFI
boot file compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit Intel Macs. Ubuntu
has a useful matrix of compatible Macs at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MactelSupportTeam/CommunityHelpPages#Determine%20your%20model%20and%20hardware%20revision

There are other possibilities too, such as:
http://www.puredarwin.org/developers/booting/efiboot

And, GRUB info for booting Linux on Mac:
http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnEFI also
http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnMacbook

To my mind, it's worth investigating these solutions (based on a
clickable icon OSX bash script on the SoaS USB stick, containing the
bless command but requiring admin rights) since the result will be
very easy to use and won't touch the hard disk.

Sean