[Sugar-devel] Collaboration/Google wave

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Fri May 29 10:30:45 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 4:31 AM, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 23:01, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at cscott.net> wrote:
>> Google announced Google Wave today: http://wave.google.com/
>>
>> The collaboration framework is really interesting:
>> http://www.waveprotocol.org/whitepapers/operational-transform
>>
>> It would be very interesting to see how this might benefit Sugar; it
>> seems like the school server might run a local wave-protocol server to
>> allow very interesting collaboration between students.
>
> Sounds really interesting. Will this be restricted to the browser or
> we'll see desktop apps also using it?

I suspect "Browser-based apps with offline capability", at least at
first.  The Wave collaboration protocol is based around "16-bit
Unicode code unit[s] (as used in javascript, JSON, and Java strings)"
which seems to be an obvious nod to browser-based apps, although
obviously you can use wide characters in C as well if you like.

The server side code for google app engine supports Python and Java.

As you well know, projects like gnome-shell are rapidly blurring the
boundary between web apps and desktop apps.  I program in Javascript
with GTK bindings these days.
 --scott

ps. nice seeing your work on gobject-introspection; i've got a couple
more patches to push there which should continue to improve the power
of that stuff.

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )