[Sugar-devel] Running Sugar with sugar-jhbuild - questions

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu May 28 19:58:04 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Bastien <bastienguerry at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> You want 'setxkbmap fr'.
>
> It works!  Great, thanks.
>
> Is there something similar to .xsession where I could put this
> instruction, so that I don't need to run the script from within
> the Terminal each time?

There is indeed. In images, you can edit /etc/sysconfig/keyboard,
following the instructions at

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Customizing_NAND_images#Keyboard

Or you can put it in the startup script for Terminal. Let's see...It's
.bashrc for non-login shells, and .profile for login shells.

Joyride used to have a UI for changing localization, including UI and
keyboard. There are situations where I think the children should have
that facility, such as India, which has ten official writing systems
for more than 20 official languages, and more than 800 others. There
are also schools in California near where I live with several dozen
languages in use among students in bilingual classes. More than 60
languages in LA, I hear. (If you want your ear bent some time ^_^, ask
me about the Laotian community in Mount Shasta or the Uighurs in New
Jersey, or...Well, there's more if you care.)

I put more details about keyboards (very nearly my first contribution
to the Laptop Wiki) at

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Keyboard_layouts

There are links to this and the NAND page on the Localization page.

The 'setxkbmap' command is also mentioned at

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Almanac#I_am_developing_on_an_XO_laptop.2C_but_my_keyboard_and_language_settings_are_not_ideal._How_can_I_change_them.3F

> --
>  Bastien

And Children are my nation.