[Sugar-devel] Gears in Browse

Lucian Branescu lucian.branescu at gmail.com
Thu May 28 10:11:23 EDT 2009

Not really. HTML 5 only brings an SQLite database accessible from JavaScript.

Gears has other features that aren't present in Gecko proper (yet):
- LocalServer - a way to transparently persist resources locally
- WorkerPool - threads. The WHATWG HTML 5 spec does include provisions
for WebWorkers, but they aren't really supported anywhere yet
- Geolocation - no equivalent
- Desktop - shortcuts, file access, etc - not very relevant for Sugar,
at least not without modifications

However, even if Gecko had all the features Gears already has, there
are web applications that rely on Gears APIs specifically. Wrappers
would be needed and they usually aren't quite complete.

It's better to just try to get Gears working, at least for my project.
I guess Karma could use a JavaScript ORM that can use both Gears and
HTML 5 storage as a backend.