[Sugar-devel] Simplifying sugar-jhbuild

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Thu May 28 05:16:45 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 02:07, Bastien <bastienguerry at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> writes:
>
>> On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 13:31, Bastien <bastienguerry at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> +1 on the overall.
>>>
>>> Building Sugar from source should be as easy as:
>>>
>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>
>> Well, that works for the sugar shell provided you have all the
>> dependencies installed. The point of jhbuild is precisely to get you
>> an environment where all the dependencies of the software you are
>> interested in are installed without breaking your regular desktop.
>
> Sorry to be dull here... IIUC, what you describe is the main difference
> between jhbuild and, say, apt-get install sugar on Ubuntu: in the later
> case, dependancies are taken care of by the .deb package whereas in the
> jhbuild case they are all integrated in the jhbuild source?  Does that
> make sense?

Agreed, jhbuild is necessary because we cannot expect all the
dependencies are installed in the distro. It would be great if we
could depend on stuff already in distros that are 1 year old, but we
are currently seeing how the rest of the Linux desktop world are
converging more towards our needs, so there's quite a bit of benefit
by staying at the bleeding edge.

Regards,

Tomeu