[Sugar-devel] Gears in Browse

Lucian Branescu lucian.branescu at gmail.com
Wed May 27 23:58:36 EDT 2009

For both Webified and Karma, Gears support in Browse is necessary (or
at least preferred), but AFAIK there is currently no strategy to get
it running.

Since Browse uses xulrunner, it should be possible to use the Firefox
version of Gears, with possible modifications. However, I could not
find any documentation about XUL/Firefox extensions running on Browse.

On a related note, Sebastian Dzillas has done some work on packaging
Gears in a .rpm for Firefox. The work is not complete, as the
extension tries to write in places owned by root, instead of the local
user profile. My project would probably need to be able to
move/edit/delete the Gears profile for Journal integration (search
your .mozilla default profile for the folder 'Google Gears for
Firefox' after installing Gears in Firefox).