[Sugar-devel] Sugar with Metacity (again)

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Tue May 26 15:01:49 EDT 2009

Hello,

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 8:12 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 16:33, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
>> On 22 May 2009, at 11:51, Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> Revisiting the topic of replacing matchbox with a more "standard"
>>> window manager[1], I have just uploaded a soas2 build in which Sugar
>>> uses (unmodified) metacity instead of matchbox. The image also has the
>>> Gimp, xterm and gcalctool so that you can test how metacity treats
>>> those normally while making activities occupy the entire screen. At
>>> the moment, a few activities are getting positioned incorrectly (I'll
>>> look into the activity code to figure out what's wrong),
>>
>> Here's a quick run through of the activities.
>
> Thanks, Gary!
>
> Sayamindu: have you considered moving the window management stuff from
> the sugar shell to a metacity plugin?

Does stable versions of metacity offer plugin support ? As per the
thread at http://www.mail-archive.com/fedora-list@redhat.com/msg15116.html,
it seems that the metacity developers want to delegate things like
window placement requests etc to the toolkit itself, and not to the
window manager.
I will look into the Sugar code to see if we can do the size requests
etc earlier in the window creating process so that the interim
artifacts that Gary has reported are not shown. I'll also take a look
at the maximus code to see how they do this without any visual
artifacts.

Thanks,
Sayamindu

PS: Sorry for not responding to most of the threads I should have
responded to - our city got hit by a cyclone yesterday and my internet
connection has been a bit unreliable. Things should be OK from
tomorrow.