[Sugar-devel] Progress with SoaS boot-helper

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Tue May 26 10:49:33 EDT 2009

Hi all,

This is turning into a larger project than I'd originally imagined.

Since the current process of using LVM loop-mounted partitions prevents us
from mounting the SoaS filesystem outside of SoaS itself, we had to come up
with a new method of installing SoaS that *can* be read by a running OS.
I've done some work on modifying Canonical's Live USB creator to support
this, but it will take some time.

We've decided to set up the partitions on devices as descried on the
wiki<at%20http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/USB_format>(
This has the additional benefit of additional stability (loop-mounted
filesystems are inherently more fragile), as well as (hopefully) increased
compatability with older and odder BIOSes that only support USB-ZIP booting,
rather than the more modern USB-HDD.

There should be a decently stable version of the USB creator with these
changes around by mid to late June, however it might need to be pushed back
until the next SoaS release.

There is little to no risk with implementing it late in the SoaS release
schedule, if it was to be ready before then, since it is currently a
non-essential component; there exist many other ways to create a SoaS stick,
and the creator would be able to work with existing SoaS images without a
problem.

--
Luke Faraone
http://luke.faraone.cc