[Sugar-devel] Who wants to adopt the Clock activity?

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon May 25 22:59:01 EDT 2009

Hi Pierre,

On 26 May 2009, at 02:24, Pierre Métras wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> I've read in a recent post in the Sugar IAEP list where you
> explained how to
> make an activity adopted by the Activity Team. Are you part of this
> team or
> how can I contact them without having to create a new account to be
> able to
> post once on the IAEP list?
>
> Last year, I've developed the Clock Activity:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Clock_activity
>
> It's a simple clock activity, with various displays: digital,
> analog, simple
> or complex. There is an option to enable the talking clock mode to
> help the
> child learn how to read the time, in French, English and Spanish.
> This activity has been deployed in Peru in a previous version.
>
> I've no more the time to maintain it and to move it to SugarLabs. I
> would like
> to find another maintainer or maintainers to complete the move to
> SugarLabs
> and eventually update the code.

Thanks for your email! Please consider Clock now adopted by the
Activity team :-) I'll migrate it over to the Sugar Labs
infrastructure in the next few days and make sure it gets into pootle.

> I had planned a few changes:
>
> - Put the PO files into Pootle to support more languages. The
> talking feature
> is based on "time grammar" rules defined in the PO files. A small
> inference
> engine is able to use these rules to write the time in full letters.
> This
> allows to support new languages, written and spoken, without
> touching the
> code. But it put the burden of creating the "time grammar" rules to
> the
> translator. Since I didn't complete the Pootel integration, I don't
> know if
> this design choice was valid...
>
> - The talking feature spawn a espeak process to read the time aloud.
> I've seen
> that Sugar now integrates the espeak library and I think that
> calling these
> methods would be a lighter solution for the XO constrained system.

Understood, seems like a nice feature, I can't initially offer more
than basic migration and maintenance, but depending on time (no pun
intended) I'll try to take a look at this and/or try and encourage
other community members to help out (perhaps someone working in espeak
looking to leverage/test their work).

> - There are a few tickets opened for the activity:
> http://bugs.laptop.org/ticket/9216
> http://bugs.laptop.org/ticket/9215

OK, will migrate these to dev.sugarlabs.org once the a Clock component
is added.

> - Last, the activity has to be tested against the 8.2.1 code base.
> Future
> plans were to see if the Clock could be integrated into the Sugar
> border...

Thanks, will also test in current Sugar builds and various
environments before releasing a bundle on activities.sugarlabs.org.
Think we have the frame based clock covered now, here are a some
working screen shots from Martin Dengler's frame device:

http://www.martindengler.com/tmp/screenshot_clock_device_frame-06_a6_a689bf1e-3f34-4da3-afed-aa910ab4f677.png
http://www.martindengler.com/tmp/screenshot_clock_device_frame-07_84_841da15d-9bd7-4fe4-aada-8e8ab723f806.png
http://www.martindengler.com/tmp/screenshot_clock_device_frame-08_4b_4ba1059e-4db9-4f22-8661-7916f6a167f8.png

And some recent mockups from Eben:

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1085311/clock_digital_basic.jpg
https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1085311/clock_digital_settings.jpg
https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1085311/clock_digital_calendar.jpg
https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1085311/clock_analog.jpg

> I'm ready to assist and help the future maintainer, but no more time
> develop by myself. Of course, he can decide what the future of this
> activity
> will be!

Once the source is in Gitorious it's very easy to clone the
repository, hack about on some ideas, and then if they works out
request a merge. So if you have the occasional slice of free time in
the future it would be easy (and you'd be most welcome) to dip back in
again with minimal commitment.

> Can you tell me who to contact to have this activity adopted?

Congratulations, you got lucky with your first email ;-)

Kind Regards,
--Gary