[Sugar-devel] wrong Activity versions for 8.2(.1) -- Etoys, Memorize, Terminal, Read, others

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Sun May 24 06:56:32 EDT 2009

XO's running 8.2.0 and 8.2.1 (thus Sugar 0.82.1) can use the Software
update control panel to update an "activity group" of activities and
collections.  I believe Software update on 8.2.x determines the latest
versions from http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/G1G1/8.2

Unfortunately these version numbers are independent of the bundles
pointed to by activity pages and their semantic info, let alone newer
versions on http://activity.sugarlabs.org.  People recently fixed
Browse, but after running Software update to upgrade my 8.2.1
activities to latest version, I noticed several other discrepancies:

1. Software update doesn't update to latest version for 8.2.

Etoys at 94, but its web page's Activity_version says 98
   ==> Someone should update http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/Etoys_(8.2) !?
   ==> http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addons/versions/4030
is up to 100, but doesn't list a version for Sugar 0.82

Memorize at 28 and its web page's Activity_version says 28, but
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4063 says v.30 works
for Sugar 0.82
   ==> Someone should update
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/Memorize_(8.2) and
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/Memorize_(latest)

Read at 56, web page Activity_version says 52 and 61, and
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addons/versions/4028
doesn't list a version for Sugar 0.82.
   ==> What is the latest Read version that works for 8.2.0?

Terminal at 18, but the web page's Activity_version says 19
   ==> Someone should update
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/Terminal_(8.2) !?
   ==> http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addons/versions/4043
doesn't list a version for Sugar 0.82

Turtle Art is at 10, web page doesn't identify a tested release.
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addons/versions/4027 is
all the way to version 51 but doesn't list a version for Sugar 0.82

2. Activity updates to a later version than its wiki.laptop.org web page

IMO just delete redundant and out-of-date info on wiki.laptop.org.
Blank out the activity_version and OBX xobundle info for the activity,
and use
the {{activity migrated to sl.o}} template as Aleksey has been doing.
See http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Maintaining_activity_web_information

Browse at 102, web page Activity_version says its 98
    also the web page's lang pootle links redirect to sugarlabs w/ bad
https and broken rewrite

TamTamEdit at 50, Mini at 49, SynthLab at 51; web page
Activity_version versions are 1 less than those.

3.  Activities/G1G1/8.2 mis-identifies the version for 8.2 as "(latest)".

Sometimes  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/G1G1/8.2 has the right
version for 8.2, but misidentifies it as the "latest" version when
activities.sugarlabs.org has something much more recent.  The fix is
to change this page to pull in the (8.2) fragment.

4.  I didn't grind through every versions page on
activities.sugarlabs.org.  If your activity has a more recent version
than what's listed here that works on 8.2.1/Sugar 0.82, please update
its fragment.

Here's the set of versions on my XO-1 running 8.2.1 after Software update:

Analyze.activity          8
Browse.activity         102
Calculate.activity       25
Chat.activity            48
Distance.activity        14
Etoys.activity           94
Firefox-6.activity        6 (not in Activities/G1G1)
Help.activity            10
Implode.activity          5
Log.activity             16
Maze.activity             6
Measure.activity         21
Memorize.activity        28
Moon.activity            10
Paint.activity           23
Pippy.activity           30
Read.activity            56
Record.activity          59
Ruler.activity            3
Scratch.activity         12
Speak.activity            9
TamTamEdit.activity      50
TamTamJam.activity       51
TamTamMini.activity      49
TamTamSynthLab.activity  51
Terminal.activity        18
TurtleArt.activity       10
WikipediaEN.activity      4
Write.activity           60

5. There are many other activities not part of the G1G1 activities
group that are out-of-date on wiki.laptop.org.  For example,
Colors! web page Activity_version says its 13, but
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addons/versions/4050 says
version 15 is latest.  Again, I think blanking it out and indicated
the version for Sugar 0.82 on Activities.sugarlabs.org's "See All
Versions" is the way to go.

Cheers,
--
=S Page