[Sugar-devel] Simplifying sugar-jhbuild

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Fri May 22 08:54:07 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 01:34:20PM +0200, NoiseEHC wrote:

> For example by autodetecting the Linux distro, it could create a full
> command line. Of course, if it could be automated then it should just
> say something:
> "The following dependencies are missing: <long list here>. To install
> them, type in your root password: <type here>".
Certainly possible, though I have some thoughts regarding the details
(e.g. the user shouldn't ever type any password into a random program).
Please file a feature request upstream (i.e. at Gnome).

> And why shall I run jhbuild 3 times anyway? It could have a default
> option when it does an "update" then "depscheck" and then a "build"...
Actually you only need to run it two times, as the "update" part is
redundant:

[1]:
> (Note that build will update first anyway, so run update separately if
> you want to see what changed more easily.)

I agree it's a bit buried, improvements are welcome.
Regarding doing a default macro consisting of depscheck + build, it's a
good idea. Please file a bug at dev.sugarlabs.org against sugar-jhbuild
so I don't forget about it. Patches are welcome, of course (take a look
at sjhbuild/main.py). :)

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Jhbuild#Other_commands

CU Sascha

--