[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] feedback from the Distro (autopackaging team) at Sugar Camp and recent meeting with key members taking on that task

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Tue May 19 14:30:44 EDT 2009

2009/5/19 David Van Assche <dvanassche at gmail.com>:
> We had an IRC meeting yesterday (1 day after sugar camp!) to decide
> how to move forward with the decisions taken at Sugar Camp in the area
> of making packaging easier, performance better, testing easier, and
> volunteer support and QA attraction a more realistic process and
> approach. You can see the wiki entry discussed (ie. what was said at
> Sugar Camp) here:
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Talk:Community/Distributions/OpenSUSE
>
> Though it mentions openSUSE it is really distro agnostic, its just
> that key members of the openSUSE team were at the IRC meeting to
> discuss the synching of jhconvert with oBS (openSUSE build service) so
> that we can totally automate the process from getting revisions of
> glucose, fructose, and some honey directly to all distros and
> platforms. That novelly (no pun intended) includes the ARM
> architecture for Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, and openSUSE. You can check
> the irc logs of what was discussed here if you have any interest:
>
> http://en.opensuse.org/Sugar/Meetings
>
> Other performance and testing automation includes better hardware for
> buildbot and the revival of the sugarbot project (an auto testing bot
> to some degree) though it was agreed at Sugar Camp that much more
> manual performance and security testing must be done, since its
> unrealistic to rely on automated tests only. Still, both Buildbot and
> Sugarbot are intesesting concepts and should help the process of the
> developers, triagers, and even QA people significantly.
>
> What we're doing goes a little bit against the policies of many
> distros, but remember we almost consider Sugar its own OS ;-) and
> distribution maintainers of Sugar are free to take the dsitributed
> source and build it all again if they really like. We are just making
> sure that Sugar IS available everywhere for everyone, and that it is
> not the distros deciding whether Sugar should be allowed in one
> version or another. We just want the best Sugar out there available to
> all. So distro maintainers of Sugar can either keep up with Sugar, or
> probably have their users ousing Sugar repos elsewhere........
>
> I hope this doesn't start any rifts or flame wars, that was not my
> intention. As stated above, its just to get the best Sugar out there
> as quickly as possible to everyone in all formats....

Though I believe that we should make sure that Sugar is well packaged
_and_ part of the main distros, I don't see why having alternate sets
of packages for several distros would be a problem.

You have mentioned tasks that will be very important for SLs but that
will call for a lot of good work. Looking forward for the next steps!

Regards,

Tomeu