[Sugar-devel] [Marketing] [IAEP] personal marketing (bottum up approach)

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Tue May 19 10:46:17 EDT 2009

On 05/19/09 13:51, Walter Bender wrote:
> Maybe we can find a time in the next few days to all meet on IRC to
> discuss this? CC'ng Bernie as he is most familiar with the SL
> infrastructure.
>
> -walter
>
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 7:41 AM, David Van Assche <dvanassche at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think that there is a kind of formal technical/distribution position
>> forming here. Ie... someone that would be responsible for supporting
>> distribution methods of sugar (this should not be confused with QA,
>> bugsquad or anything else) It just needs to be a person that can say
>> all the available methods of distribution, and perhaps working on
>> communication between distros and Sugar team... what do u guys think?
>> Marten or I are both capable of doing this job just fine, but it kind
>> of overlaps with the infrastructure team... we'd need to be sure like
>> Marten says we have access to a server to set up rsync, torrent
>> distribution and even our own build Service (openSUSE build service is
>> totally gpl ;-)   ) What should this position be called, I have no
>> idea, I came up with lateral distro architect, but I have no idea if
>> that is specific enough or even too generic.

We already have rsync running on our main distribution site.  Try:

  rsync rsync://download.sugarlabs.org/pub/

Mirrors are welcome to poll this daily (or even hourly) for updates.
In fact, we already have one mirror running:

  http://download2.sugarlabs.org

Unfortunately, both the main download site and the mirror are located in
Boston, so they're both going to be slow for people on the other side of
the world.

David, if you add more mirrors, let me know and I'll add them to the DNS
with ISO codes such as:

   it.download.sugarlabs.org
   jp.download.sugarlabs.org

Would you like to keep the wiki page for downloads updated to reflect these?

In the far future, we might think of refinements such as geolocating
users to pair them with the best mirror, automatically exclude mirrors
which have not been polling the master site for a while...

As for adding a Torrent tracker, this is indeed a great idea and I just
didn't get around to do it.  Please, file a ticket for me so I don't forget.