[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] How Can We Showcase Turtle Art Portfolio

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue May 12 19:46:27 EDT 2009

On 12 May 2009, at 23:23, John Tierney wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Would like commentary from the community on how we can try and
> showcase the abilities of Turtle art Portfolio
> along with the things each of us are working on. The email below
> came from my inability(due to my confusing question)
> to start the thread in our IRC marketing meeting today. I hope those
> of you going to Paris get a chance to spend some time
> on this subject. This is an important piece of our Educational
> Outreach and a capability that all community members
> can showcase. Therefore, I have cross-posted to IAEP, Developer, and
> Marketing-please pass along to
> others who can be of help to the conversation.

My main question would be; can we easily upload activity states from
the journal to the web/wiki or some other location (perhaps Moodle)? I
keep meaning to go through some of the activities and upload their
state to make sure they can be re-downloaded again to the Journal in a
useful manor. If that virtuous circle is complete it allows much
easier content creation and asynchronous sharing direct from Sugar.
I'm guessing there are mime hurdles for some activities, i.e. I know
Labyrinth (I look after this one) is not yet specifying a custom mime
type for the Journal content it creates, and I'm not 100% sure how
best to proceed.

Taking Labyrinth as an example I could easily see a range of sample
mind-maps over various subjects being useful references (i.e with my
geek hat on, I use some mind-maps for reminding me of obscure vi
keyboard shortcuts, git commands, etc). From a more lesson plan
direction, creating template mind-maps, or mind-maps with unanswered
questions at the leaf nodes, could make a good educational process.
Students could then provide final pdf's** of their edited work to the
teacher for feedback***.

** I have pdf working from Labyrinth now, just some glitches if raster
image thoughts are in the mix – still working on it...

*** some simple pdf annotation features in Read would rock.

Regards,
--Gary