[Sugar-devel] Sugar 0.84-on-a-XO

pgf at laptop.org pgf at laptop.org
Fri May 8 08:29:20 EDT 2009

tomeu wrote:
 > On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 14:03, Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com> wrote:
 > >
 > >> I was very heartened to hear on IRC two days ago that OLPC have a
 > >> kernel hacker (dsaxena) starting in June (to work on Gen 1.5), and
 > >> that one of the first thing on the todo list was to get the OLPC
 > >> patches applying to the linus kernel.
 >
 > This has just made me happy today. How much can we rely on this
 > happening? Any plans regarding mesh support in NM?

i've not heard of any NM plans from OLPC.  as for "relying" on
the kernel patches getting upstream, i can't speak for deepak, or
OLPC, or cjb, but as usual, i'd say that being ready and eager to
test, package, etc in a very timely fashion would help a lot.  i
don't believe that getting these patches upstream is a primary
goal (for OLPC) -- my feeling is that it's just a necessary step
that's been nagging at the project, and the more quickly we can
get past it, the better.

(btw, i'll be back at olpc, too, for a couple of months, helping
out with various pieces of 1.5 work:  principally with the EC,
but hopefully with other work as well.)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org