[Sugar-devel] [Server-devel] backup : problem opening /library/users/XXXX/datastore-xxxxx/store

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Thu May 7 05:40:40 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 08:33, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 7:47 PM, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com> wrote:
>> (metadata is data).
>
> Snarky but true comment: if/when that's the case, put the data in the
> data part. For example, the new Browse does store valuable data
> (unlike before) and does put it in the data. So the entries for
> Browse.xo (of the 0.84 series) are displayed.
>
>> The spurious generation of Journal entries is a problem that the Glucose
>> developers are working on (and might benefit by having some of those Journal
>> logs).
>
> As it gets fixed, more data files will appear, and the XS will display
> them. The presence of the data file is a good indication that the
> problem is solved for that particular app ;-)
>
> Sugar devs and UI designers (Eben?) -- is this a reasonable approach?
> If not, why not?

I would say that data is the part of the activity state that should be
treated as an opaque blob by everybody who cannot interpret the file
format specified in the mime-type property.

Metadata is a structure of pairs of keyed values, some keys are
standard and present in all entries, and can be interpreted by
everybody.

I don't think we can say that metadata or data are good or bad, both
are different aspects of the activity state and should be treated
equally because it's at the author's discretion to use one or another.

Regards,

Tomeu