[Sugar-devel] Adding support for new datastore to the XS...

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed May 6 13:07:25 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Sascha Silbe
<sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 01:48:26PM +0200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>
>> looking at the new DS as implemented in SoaS. To confirm, is this
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Datastore_Rewrite what
>> is implemented in 0.84?
>
> Yes, it is. And to give you an early warning: I'm going to change the data
> store on-disk format again for 0.86 (see [1]). There's no way around it,
> sorry.

Cool. Can someone with wikiadmin magic then rename that page from
'Datastore rewrite' to 'Datastore 0.82' or similar? "New" and
"rewrite" often end up being "old" and "deprecated" ;-) If we
'soft-version' our plans then it's a lot easier to refer to them...

And while we're at it - is 'preview' completely gone?

> Do you need to access the data store directly on disk or can you go through
> the API? If the latter, is there anything lacking in the current API that
> would make your life easier?

On the XO side, ds-backup-client uses rsync to... well, rsync to the
server. So being rsync friendly, both in atomicity and saving
bandwidth by having things in one place.

On the XS side, the on-disk structure of the ds gets read by PHP code
written by me, so keep it simple, please :-)

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions