[Sugar-devel] Sugar Digest 2009-05-03

Bastien bastienguerry at googlemail.com
Wed May 6 09:35:27 EDT 2009

Great Sugar Digest and pointers, thanks.

Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> writes:

> Diego is of the believe that creativity is a skill that can be taught;

For the sake of conceptual clarity, I would myself consider creativity
as a meta-skill: the skill to activate other specific skills and make
something out of them.

"Specific skills" are those with a specific object/purpose: repair a
bike, solve an equation.  Creativity is only a generic skill, with no
purpose pre-defined.

Obvious hypotheses:

1. traditional teaching is good at teaching specific skills;

2. creativity can not be directly taught, only indirectly encouraged;

3. "teaching creativity" is meaningless unless teaching is creative
   itself, and focuses on creating the right environment for such a
   meta-disposition to engage into something interesting.

As far as I understand it, Sugar is a digital version of such an
environment.

Food for thought for the next SugarCamp?  I would love to hear about
Walter's experience and ideas on these topics!

best,

--
 Bastien