[Sugar-devel] SD card / USB stick support

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Fri May 1 10:26:23 EDT 2009

Sascha,

In regard to my comment:
> [...] it would store meta info for the books, as well as the content
> type of the book (which the MIME type by itself would not be enough to
> do).
what I meant was that there are some MIME types mapped to more than one
Activity.  For instance, the MIME type text/plain is used by Read Etexts
but also by the Write activity.  application/zip is used by Etoys, View
Slides, and Read Etexts.  Because of this you cannot simply click on an
entry in the Journal that has one of these MIME types to resume it.  You
need to specify which Activity you want to open it with.  You need to do
this every single time, and it's annoying.  The real answer to this is
not what I talked about in that email.  The real answer is to implement
"Unified Bundles" which package books up like Activities and have a
configuration file that says how they should be opened: as a bunch of
images in a Zip file, as a plain text file, etc.  That way when I try to
read a Gutenberg text file I don't have to deal with opening Write by
mistake, and when I'm viewing a comic book I don't have to deal with
opening Etoys by mistake.

Journal entries created by an Activity are always resumed by that
Activity.  It's the Activities that DON'T create their own Journal
entries that have this issue.  This problem makes Sugar less usable as a
platform for reading ebooks, which is a shame because ebook reading
could be a killer app for Sugar and the XO otherwise.  Unified Bundles
were proposed a couple of weeks ago as a way of dealing with these
problems and others.

I regards to your point on the SD card, I would love for it to act as a
second Journal.  Failing that, it should have a view in the Journal that
communicates to the user that it is NOT a second Journal.  Maybe a
Windows Explorer kind of view that shows subdirectories, etc.  The
current situation where it LOOKS like a Journal but doesn't ACT like one
(no metadata saved, etc.) is annoying.  And whatever you do with the SD
card the USB thumb drive should definitely have an Explorer look and
feel.  It is something foreign to Sugar and it should look that way.

James Simmons