[Sugar-devel] ideal flash activity to be remade as karma activity

Lucian Branescu lucian.branescu at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 10:30:03 EDT 2009

I've been doing some benchmarks between firefox and safari nightlies
on OS X Leopard x86. Firefox had Tracemonkey and Safari had
SquirrelFish Extreme.
Every test was run three times and the best time was recorded. Memory
usage is Real Size as reported by the OS X (Activity Monitor and top).

I asked around on #firefox and #webkit, people in general agreed that
the v8 bench is purely synthetic, since it mainly tests recursion and
memory management. SunSpider was said to be the most indicative of
real-world usage and Dromaeo the most comprehensive.

The results may vary greatly on linux, and in particular the XO.
bernie (or bemasc, sorry I keep getting your nicks mixed up) was
thinking of testing on the XO, I don't know how far he got. (if you do
test, also try the chrome experiments)

In the end, I believe it may be beneficial for Sugar to switch to
webkit, but it would be best to not introduce a new dependency only
for the web-activity thing. The difference isn't that great and things
like Bespin manage to work fine on firefox.

A webkit backend for hulahop would probably be an interesting project,
but I may be wrong since I don't know that much about hulahop's API.