[Sugar-devel] Non-US non-XO keyboard (Was: "7 Meilen Stiefel" or New Soas-2 image available)

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 00:50:46 EDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 3:39 AM, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Simon, I have read the thread but it seems to apply to XOs only
>
> My Acer Aspire One has a French azerty keyboard and boots up SoaS-1
> and SoaS-2, but I can't find a way for it to see the French keyboard
> :-(
>
> The Settings/Language sets the interface language not the keyboard mapping.
>
> I can type my m's and dots from memory, but teachers will have a hard
> time... any way to solve this, even manual config?

In the Terminal Activity, type

setxkbmap fr

I recommend creating a script file with some simple name for giving
this command.

#!/bin/bash
setxkbmap fr

Don't forget to chmod +x the script file.

I use the name 'asdf' because the letters are under my fingers in the
home row on a QWERTY layout. I use the same sequence of keys on my
alternate keyboard as the name of the script to get back to my base
layout. So for me, 'asdf' sets dvorak, and 'aoeu' restores QWERTY.
Sometimes I have used 'asdf' or 'aoeu' to get to Cyrillic, and 'фыва'
to get back to Latin.

> thanks
>
> Sean
>

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
>> Sean DALY wrote:
>>>
>>> I confirm, I was able to boot that SoaS-2 image on an XO-1 and an Acer
>>> Aspire One and despite having set 130 Mb of the 1 Gb stick for
>>> persistent storage, the Journal told me on startup that it was full
>>> even though i only had 2 items in it.
>>>
>>> By the way does anyone know how to specify a French azerty keyboard
>>> mapping with SoaS?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> Sean
>>
>> Here is some discussion about keyboard layouts.
>> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2009-March/012995.html
>>
>> Regards,
>>   Simon

And Children are my nation.