[Sugar-devel] SoaS won't boot XO-1s?

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Fri Mar 27 11:22:54 EDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 03:58:20PM +0100, Sean DALY wrote:
> Windows GUI does a quick high-level format

The issue is that one will probably significantly reduce the useful
lifetime of the USB stick if you don't format the drive in a certain
way (which way is unknown to me for FAT systems, though the links I
cited give some of the background information for a motivated person
to start trying to figure that out).

> These sticks also had the factory-installed U3 rootkit preinstalled

That of course really sucks.  It'd be best to recommend USB drives /
sticks without U3, and point people to these uninstallers:

http://u3.com/support/default.aspx#CQ3

> I'd be the first to outline a procedure without reformatting, if it is
> universal and reliable and easy enough for teachers and parents to
> execute.

A procedure without a step that says "format your USB stick" is
probably a good way to start.  If people have to, then they have to.

Martin