[Sugar-devel] print support proposal up and running!(uses moodle)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 06:19:10 EDT 2009

2009/3/25 Vamsi Krishna Davuluri <vamsi.davuluri at gmail.com>:
> So, here is an almost finished version of my Print Proposal minus the second
> community member remarks. ( cc Martin Langhoff please give me your views on
> this if possible)
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Print_Support

Looks good! A couple of notes...

On the XO side,

 - new Activities may include with the m the ability to turn their own
"document" files into a PDF, so at activity-install time, you may want
to poke the activity metadata to extend the list of mimetypes handled.

 - cups has lots of overhead and complication, if you find a simpler
way to print to PDF, it will be a big win

 - once you have a Journal-based "PDF print queue", it will be easy to
push that into moodle or into other systems. I really like that.

On the XS side:

 - Moodle + cups makes lots of sense.

 - Happy to help design the moodle integration and user workflow.

 - Good call on the quotas and teacher control.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions