[Sugar-devel] [Gsoc] SWF Sugar

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 10:51:22 EDT 2009

For what it's worth, I think that *both* Web and SWF activity
frameworks are high priority.

SWF is a mature ecosystem.  We have Gnash, 1000s of developers, and
1000s of existing SWF apps (including the OLE Nepal content).
Performance characteristics are well known.

HTML5 is brand new.  We are relying on beta technology which was
designed for systems with much higher specs than the XO.

We absolutely need Web activities though.  Lots of things can be done
with HTML+CSS+Javascript that do not rely on new HTML5 features.
Wikipedia snapshots, interactive textbooks, quiz software, etc.

So I'm not saying that Web-based activities are not useful, just that
I'm not counting on them to replace the need for SWF.

-Wade