[Sugar-devel] Summer of Code Proposal: Furthering Speech Recognition in Sugar.

satya komaragiri satya.komaragiri at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 16:01:26 EDT 2009

Hi Assim,

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:33 AM, Assim Deodia <assim.deodia at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Satya,
>
> Your idea is indeed very good. Its would be great to have speech as system
> wide another input mechanism

> I see that you have already compiled Julius on XO. Were you able to test it
> since it only support Japanese?

Yes, Julius uses acoustic models created by using the HTK Toolkit, and
hence other language models that have been created using the same can
also be used with Julius. I have tested it with the acoustic models
and the speech corpus that are made available by Voxforge. The
efficiency is not very high as of now, but its more of a acoustic
model problem that arises due to limited speech corpus rather than the
engine itself. It might also be because I speak 'Indian' English. I am
recording my own corpus by asking children to speak. I am confident
we'll get better results as we keep recording more and more data.

> What you can do is (As Sean DALY suggested) to have a specific key pressed
> while speaking this i guess will greatly improve the efficiency of the
> engine. Starting out with the recognition of just 26 letters that with too
> boundaries marked would not be of much load for XO and it will enhance the
> activity greatly.
> Some basic commands like close, open <activity name> etc can also be
> implemented.

True. I am very positive about achieving very high efficiency in this.

> I suggest you draft your proposal on wiki page and put it under this
> category http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Category:2009_GSoC_applications. Your
> application is great. Hoping to see it in this year GSoc. Best of Luck.

Sure, I'll put up a proposal on the wiki. Thanks a lot for your
encouragement. I'm praying the project gets selected too.

Regards,
Satya