[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Summer of Code Proposal: Furthering Speech Recognition in Sugar.

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 18:43:28 EDT 2009

Greetings Satya,

In the early 1990s I did some tests for a speech recognition system
and I found a shortcut for reliably acquiring and classing words and
even phonemes: asking the subject to click the mouse or the spacebar
to mark the boundary between words. Phonemes were more difficult, but
some subjects did manage to become very proficient in demarcating
boundaries. I seem to remember reading that most of the world's
languages draw from a pool of only 50-60 phonemes. Of course machines
were many times less powerful then compared to today but this little
shortcut simplified realtime processing considerably.

As a former audio engineer I had also explored digitally-controlled
analog audio processing, in particular equalization, as another method
of reducing processing power requirements. However, my results were
inconclusive, due I believe to the slow response time of the equipment
I had available. I recall finally resorting to a first sample to
capture the speech, then conversion to analog for shaping, then
conversion to digital again for analysis. Modern realtime plugin
effects modules for recording platforms such as Pro Tools would
certainly do the job better and in a single step, but the best of
these are very highly priced proprietary closed code (example:
http://www.sonnoxplugins.com).

I did find recognition rates varied very widely with the model of
microphone used. I remember obtaining interesting results from the
proximity effect of a common studio dynamic mic, the Shure SM57; the
"colored" analog sound allowed faster transformations (this is what
led me to shaping sound in the analog domain). Recording very close in
also eliminated ambient room noise. The stumbling block I encountered
there was encouraging subjects to speak right into the mic, which some
found intrusive. I did not test with cheapo soundcard mics as
interfacing these with pro sound equipment for testing was a headache.

It's a fascinating subject

Sean