[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Summer of Code Proposal: Furthering Speech Recognition in Sugar.

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 18:00:36 EDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 2:46 PM, satya komaragiri
<satya.komaragiri at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a final year student from India. I wish to apply to GSoC this
> year by building upon my current work. I had discussed the feasibility
> and advantages of having Speech Recognition for an OLPC

+1

Which languages to start with?

> with the devel
> list [1] in September 2008 and have been working on it since then as a
> part of the Sarai Fellowship. My progress on that project can be
> tracked on its wiki page [2]. I am also working on a dictation
> activity under it though it might take some time as I am currently
> gathering the speech corpus spoken by children.

Are you looking for published data, or researching this yourself? I
see publications on a wide range of languages.

> This summer, I would like to implement a generic speech library that
> could be used by any activity so that children can interact with Sugar
> using voice rather than typing. I spoke to Mr. Assim Deodia(cc'ed in
> this mail)

That cc fell out somewhere along the line.

> who developed an activity called 'Listen and Spell' in GSoC
> last year and is interested in this idea.
>
> I can showcase one of its potential usages by integrating speech
> capabilities to the 'Listen and Spell' activity where the child can
> spell out the word verbally. I want to let the children speak out the
> spelling rather than type it out. As the alphabet of any language is
> limited (26 in the case of English, extension to any language would
> just mean getting a few people to read out the alphabet of that
> language).
>
> Having a generic library will make system-wide integration easier by
> abstracting the interactions with the speech engine via DBUS etc.  All
> the activities can use the speech capability as they see fit  (spoken
> commands to control the activity is the most straightforward
> application that strikes me).

I am interested in applications to foreign language and second
language learning, including accent reduction.

> It would be really nice if the community could provide us with some
> feedback on this proposal. :)
>
> Regards
> Satya Komaragiri
>
> [1] Dicsussion on the devel list:
> http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2008-September/019136.html
> [2] Speech recognition project page: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Speech_to_Text
>

> P.S. I apologize if the list gets this mail twice. My first mail bounced.

And Children are my nation.
http://earthtreasury.net/ (Edward Mokurai Cherlin)