[Sugar-devel] GSoC idea: Chart/graph-making activity

Garrison Benson Benson.Garrison at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 14:09:13 EDT 2009

My name is Garrison Benson and I'm an undergraduate computer science student
at Hope College in Holland, Michigan, USA. I'm interested in participating
in Google Summer of Code and I'd like some feedback on my idea...

I want to make a Sugar activity that will allow students to create charts
and graphs (e.g. pie charts, line graphs, etc.). I haven't been able to find
such an activity (SocialCalc can create bar graphs, but nothing else). I see
it being useful for formal science experiments, such as the classic "chart
the growth of plants over the course of time" experiment that everybody does
in primary school. It'd also be cool if it allowed students to view the
graph and the data at the same time, so they could modify the data and
immediately see the effect on the graph. (It would help students to gain a
fundamental understanding of the relationship between the graph and the
source data.) It'd also be pretty cool if it could somehow interact with
existing activities such as Measure, Ruler, Poll Builder, etc.

A traditional spreadsheet kind of interface would work (something like MS
Excel or OO.o Calc) but I think a more basic, application-specific interface
may be more accessible.

Anyway, who's got comments or suggestions? Thanks in advance!