[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] A Roadmap to our first Release

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Sat Mar 21 12:31:42 EDT 2009

Hi all.

As promised, I've got some news regarding the SoaS roadmap. Here is it:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Roadmap#Roadmap

Let me talk about the major points for a second.

(a) We're targeting 2009-04-10 as the release date, as that's the date
when Caroline and Walter will be showing it off at FOSSVT.

(b) We'll clearly indicate that this is *beta* software. Nevertheless,
it's a *release*. The final release is scheduled for Q3 2009.

(c) Fedora 11 Beta has been delayed for 7 days, which means that it will
be generally available on 2009-03-31.

(d) We're going to use F11 beta as the base system. Why? Because it's
currently frozen and will become more unstable after the beta release,
when the freeze is lifted. So instead, we'll clone the Rawhide state
being used for the Beta Release and base SoaS-2 on that.

What does this mean for testers, as well as developers?

(1) I'd like to encourage everybody to give SoaS-2 a shot. Please report
any issues you encounter, also with regard to hardware support, *now*!

The latest snapshots have been announced here: http://tinyurl.com/cufy75

(2) We'll continue to build and release new snapshots, as Rawhide should
become more stable now.

(3) After the F11 beta release, testing should focus on providing a good
Sugar experience. So information which activities (and features) and
which don't are appreciated!

(4) Activity maintainers for honey should be aware of the fact that
their activities can only be included if they have been uploaded and
approved on activities.sugarlabs.org.

(5) Package maintainers for Fedora are asked to update their packages to
the latest version until 2009-04-05. That's also the latest date for
getting packages included! Non-working stuff might be removed as of that
date.

You can keep track of the latest package version here. Please update
this page accordingly.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Roadmap#Packaging

If you've any general ideas or suggestions, please add them here:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/TODO

Thanks and let's make this a great release! :)
    --Sebastian