[Sugar-devel] Full Licence field

Lyos Gemini Norezel lyos.gemininorezel at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 08:52:36 EDT 2009

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On 03/18/2009 03:45 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>
>> Simon Schampijer wrote:
>>
>>> Yes. So the main question is now if Fedora would be willing to ship
>>> general licenses under /usr/share/common-licenses, I think.
>>>

> I really don't want to do this. Here's why:
>
> A) Many copyright holders make minor modifications to the licensing
> terms. These modifications usually do not affect the rights granted by
> the license (which is why we do not mark them as distinct and individual
> licenses),

Perhaps this is a mistake on our part?

> but it would be incorrect to have these packages pointing to
> general license texts when those do not apply.
>

> B) Many licenses require that any distribution include the license text.
> Red Hat Legal was very uncomfortable with us using a rpm dependency to
> meet that requirement.

Maybe it's because I'm not a lawyer, that I fail to see the problem with
that.
As long as there exists some reference to the license and a location
where it can be read,
doesn't that meet the requirements of those licenses?

It seems awfully wasteful carrying a million or more copies of the same
blasted license file,
in a million or more locations in the OS.

Wasn't there a discussion, somewhat recently, about libraries that are
shipped with the program instead
of being stored in /lib or /usr/lib?

Seems, to me, the arguments used to store such files in a *COMMON
LOCATION* can, and should, be
used here.

Or has common sense been thrown out the window?

Lyos Gemini Norezel