[Sugar-devel] Print Support proposal (need input) Beta

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 07:27:39 EDT 2009

I can't speak for the classroom, but in the house I have two kids very
active with their Mac computers and often wishing to print. I think
printing is an area where lots of little things can go wrong which
need grownups to sort out.

I have a single printer connected to a computer on the main floor. The
kids started out (at ages 9 and 11, two years ago) by trying to print
everything, printing 80-page documents they downloaded, making minor
changes to get something to "fit" and printing each one, not knowing
what to do with the pile of badly printed paper, getting frustrated
when no-ink message and I wasn't around to pop in a new cartridge.
When I disapproved of printing a very long document, they got wise and
paused the printer queue, sent their print job to the queue, went
downstairs to see if I was around or not, then unpaused the queue.

So I taught them to *always* print to PDF, check how it "came out",
try again until it looked fine, *then* print the PDF. And if the
printer was offline, instead of a crisis where they were worried about
their stuff, they immediately had options: wait until I get home,
e-mail it to a friend with a working printer, mail it right to the
teacher. They learned to keep their PDFs in a directory and liked
being able to look at or reprint an older document without looking for
the source document, which moreover they had sometimes updated and
wrecked the page layout and in this case they were able to fall back
to the printable PDF. In particular, they appreciate that printing
should be thought about twice before being done.

What I like about the scenario of classroom kids gaining permission to
print, hooking up directly, and then printing with the teacher is that
it underlines the expense (including environmental) involved and
boosts the probability that the teacher will be able to fix the little
problems (paper jam, ink) which kids have trouble solving without
making it worse (e.g. pulling out jammed paper and stripping gears).

I, too, think the priority should be classroom needs, not adult G1G1 users.

thanks

Sean

P.S. way back in the days of Windows v3.1, the CLI copy command (also
available from the GUI file manager where I usually used it) was able
to print to parallel port lptx devices, e.g.:
copy /b mydoc.prn lpt1
this was a function I used all the time, very useful as it worked even
if the parallel port in question was captured or redirected (i.e. with
Netware and redirected to a print queue). This disappeared from
Windows 95 onwards and I have missed it ever since.