[Sugar-devel] Activity platform discussion

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 21:21:49 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Wade Brainerd <wadetb at gmail.com> wrote:
> On activities.sugarlabs.org we are able to say what platforms a
> particular activity supports.
>
> Note that this is in *addition* to describing the Sugar application
> version (0.82, 0.84, etc).  So the platform support has more to do
> with Python version (2.5 vs 2.6), available system packages,
> architecture, etc.
>
> Currently we have:
>
> OLPC Software Release 8.2.0 (Build 767)
> Sugar on a Stick 1 (F10 based)
> Sugar on a Stick 2 (F11 based)
>
> Questions:
>
> - Are there other OLPC builds we should add to the list?
>
> 656?

Not sure how we should refer to it, but this one needs mentioning
because there are many activities that don't run on these old Sugar
builds.

> Others?
>
> - How should we describe the distributions such as Caixa Magica?

All of the other builds you have listed are Fedora... But as you point
out below, we'll need some way of testing the various configurations
of SP and the distros... We definitely need some way of automated
testing.

> We now have the "Sugar Platform 0.84" package set which is present in
> many distributions, so alsroot suggested that we simply advertise
> support for "SP 0.84" and drop the idea of platforms.  But there are
> differences like Python 2.5 (SoaS1) vs 2.6 (SoaS2) that are
> independent of the SP.
>
> My thought is to add one more platform: "Linux with Sugar Platform
> 0.84" to cover these.
>
> -Wade

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs