[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Regarding the print support idea(GSoC)

Vamsi Krishna Davuluri vamsi.davuluri at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 14:05:24 EDT 2009

Hello,

 A Student trying to get into GSoC here

After a bit of research I have come up with this approach for the mandatory
requirements that a printer would assume to comply.

1)"Integration of a printing infrastructure (CUPS ??) into the XO-1 software
images " -
pycups is an opensource based wrapper around cups, we could include the
bindings.
Or write bindings entirely from the scratch tailored to serve the purpose
And write a sugar.printer module, which again fits the guidelines, and
communicates through D-BUS with applications

2) "Modification of Sugar Control Panel to set up the printer (add/select
default printer?)"
  write a pygtk code so that a new tool button is made available, and on
pressing, a menu box pops out, and connect the buttons to the specific
handlers

3)"Extra credit: integrating a server, including permissions and quota
management, into the XS image."
The CUPS api allows the machine to act as a print server, and the cups api
includes a default quota management system.
or am i missing something

Thank You,
IwikiwI (Vamsi Krishna Davuluri)