[Sugar-devel] XO-1 keyboard issues, partial setxkbmap workaround

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 05:42:13 EDT 2009

In yesterday's Soas2-200903121944.iso and in rawhide-xo 20090313.iso ,
I found that to get the XO-1's AltGr key to work in Sugar, I had to
set the keyboard to olpc with
  setxkbmap -model olpc
The AltGr key will now work to insert the special characters on some
of the keycaps.   I think you could also edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and
restart X.

However, the Frame key still doesn't work.
This is http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/291.  I think XKB translates
the Frame key to XF86TaskPane, which might be why in rawhide-XO's
Gnome desktop the Frame key pops up a context menu.the context menu.
I don't know why the Frame key doesn't work in Sugar any more.

I read that in today's SoaS2 release
> * keyboard layout changes should be possible via system-config-keyboard
I ran this from Terminal Activity in rawhide-XO 20090313 and got a
keyboard chooser dialog.  But it doesn't have any OLPC entries  at
all, let alone a "US English (OLPC)" entry.
I have a similar problem with the keyboard preference in rawhide-XO's
login screen: it lists some Afghanistan OLPC models, but nothing that
looks like an English-language OLPC keyboard.

--
=S Page