[Sugar-devel] [RELEASE] Terminal v24

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Mar 11 15:21:55 EDT 2009

On 11 Mar 2009, at 15:27, Wade Brainerd wrote:

> Sayamindu is right, I have been sitting on these changes for awhile
> and was waiting for 0.84 to release them.  Sorry about not being
> clearer in the announcement.
>
> That said, this brings up an interesting question about activity
> releases and the concept of branching.
>
> What happens when 0.86 has Terminal 24, and we need to make a patch to
> Terminal 23 for 0.84.1?  What do we call the patched Terminal 23?

Not a real answer, but my mental model of this is/will-be:

1) try and make no code changes that break an activity for old Sugar
(or distro) releases so I never have to branch and maintain multiple
activity versions. The recent json patch from alsroot's (btw, thanks!)
is a great example of such a fix allowing the same Activity code to
run on old and new distros; in this case due to a more recent Python
(now part of F11) messing about with the json module methods.

2) if I really can't find some extra code path that would auto
magically work for case 1, I'd play safe and bump the Activity version
number to leave a gap between the old and new (backwards incompatible)
release. Think maybe Morgan did this with Chat at one point?

I guess 'all it would need' (famous last words), is separation of
major and minor version numbers, but making that kind of off the cuff
remark tends to start the whole support of full packaging naming
version religion wars ;-)

Regards,
--Gary