[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Running sugar at almost-native speeds in Windows

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Tue Mar 10 22:17:34 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 09:26:59PM -0400, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:

> So, the principal difficulty with using coLinux with Sugar is that it
> uses
> a Windows-side X server, which provides its own window manager.  We
> need
> to use our own, custom-configured window manager, in order for the GUI
> work.  (For the same reason, Sugar won't run over an ssh tunnel.)
Can't say anything about the first part, but the second is plain wrong
(the box running Sugar shipped by lenny is in a different room - go
figure how I prevent having to move my feet :) ). The window manager
isn't tied to the X server in any way.

> We could attempt to port some of the window management stuff to
> Cygwin, but... let's not.
IIRC no special porting should be required regarding X on Windows. It
even seems to be able to utilize shared memory nowadays if configured
accordingly [1], so performance should be OK.

> Virtualbox is Free and potentially similar.  Also, coLinux
> requires Administrator privileges to run, so students on school
> computers
> probably can't use it.[1]
Don't VMs on Windows require admin privileges to install and/or run (I
honestly don't know)?

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-shared-memory.html

CU Sascha

--