[Sugar-devel] instructions for flashing SoaS on a XO

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Mar 7 10:46:37 EST 2009

On 6 Mar 2009, at 18:19, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> Hi,
>
> below are some instructions for flashing the last Sugar on a Stick
> image (containing Sugar 0.84) on a XO (provided you have a developer
> key).
>
> Could someone volunteer to test and wikify them?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tomeu
>
> ---
>
> on a F10 system:
>
> $ sudo yum -y install crcimage mtd-utils
> $ wget http://dev.laptop.org/~cjb/rawhide-xo/livecd-iso-to-xo.sh
> $ wget http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/snapshots/1/Soas-200903051021.iso
> $ sudo sh livecd-iso-to-xo.sh Soas-200903051021.iso
> Soas-200903051021.img

Just for the record, as I don't have access to a regular F10
desktop**, I had a quick go trying to use these steps directly on an
XO to create a .img and .crc to test with, but after several attempts
I've been unsuccessful so far.

Existing OLPC 8.2 (767) build is missing various dependancies (not
surprising as it's based on F9); cjb's F11 XO builds have everything
needed, but the XO hardware seems to run out of ram part way through
livecd-iso-to-xo script, locking things up and or restarting.

Wanted to mention this as it's a roadblock for folks with XOs to try
and make their own installable image from the ongoing Soas work. The
only images I've been able to boot on XOs so far are those from cjb.

--Gary

** Tomeu, you'll be glad to hear I at last have a shiny new MBP
arriving next week, so will finally have a system I can run various
virtual machine environments for dev work (jhbuild, Fedora images
etc). :-)