[Sugar-devel] SoaS on XO bootcharts

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 09:03:05 EST 2009

I don't want weird bugs when I finally plug in my netbook to a IPv6
connection at some IT friend's house....
Optimizing bootup based on known, manufactured, fixed hardware is a great
idea though.  The hardware that's built into the machine should easily be
enough to get you into a GUI.
Initializing dynamic hw like USB drives and the network should wait until
*after* booting though.  There's no need to have my pluggable USB key ready
before I can open a file manager or a shell to access it.

Ultimately though, this is a pretty deep issue in the Linux configuration
system.  Time honored systems like /etc/fstab (fixed mount points for
dynamic hardware? wtf!) and Xorg.conf (no pluggable input devices??) make
this a real challenge.  Udev is a step in the right direction, but takes
like 10 seconds itself to start up.

Perhaps the solution is something like this:

Write totally custom initscripts for XO which initialize all the
manufactured hardware and launch into X.  Once X signals that it's up, udev
and NetworkManager are started to recognize all the dynamic stuff, do DHCP,
etc.

This could be accomplished by making an alternate '/etc/hwspec/xo-1/rc.d'
tree which parallels /etc/rc.d and contains all the optimized initscripts.
 The 'init' program would detect the XO's hardware signature (presence of
OFW seems typical), and then symlink /etc/hwpsec/xo-1/rc.d over the regular
/etc/rc.d.  If the hardware is unrecognized, /etc/hwspec/generic/rc.d is
symlinked into /etc/rc.d and the generic initscripts are booted.

This /etc/hwspec/... system could be packaged into its own RPM, so there
would be no need to convince upstream to adopt all our optimizations into
the generic initscripts.

Regards,
Wade