[Sugar-devel] [RELEASE] Surf 106

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Mar 4 13:01:11 EST 2009

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 11:27:00AM -0500, Bobby Powers wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 6:42 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 09:21:50AM +0000, Bobby Powers wrote:
>>>An informal test showed that Browse in sugar-emulator used 100MB in
>>>opening and navigating to gmail, while surf used 85MB.  That still
>>>seems like a lot, but its a 15% savings right off the bat.
>>
>> Please document how to measure the memory use (even if non-academic),
>> to make it possible to compare on other environments using exact same
>> measuring method (as I suspect it may vary a lot, depending on
>> compile options of e.g. xulrunner).
>
>What I did:
>step 1: run a new instance of sugar-emulator
>step 2: click on the browse or surf icon from the home view
>step 3: navigate to https://mail.google.com
>step 4: log in using your gmail credentials
>step 5: open gnome-system-monitor and check the memory usage

Thanks.

You did mention that your test was informal. Anyway, here are some notes
if someone ones to test further:

I avoid registered Google services, and I guess I am not the only one:
It would probably be good to use some public web pages.

Memory usage seem to also be about cleaning up memory[1], so probably
would make sense to measure a larger number of web pages (fully loading
all content on each page and then move on to the next page).

I don't use GNOME, and don't know how it calculates memory consumption.
Probably would be better to use terminal-based measurement like "free"
or some other tool providing more optimal info.

While googling for info about this, I also stumbled across a hint that
Gecko-based browsers can be configured to use more or less memory cache
- - and has a live status by entering about:cache in the address entry.
Would be interesting to know if WebKit-based browsers have something
similar.

  - Jonas

[1] Pages like http://dotnetperls.com/Content/Browser-Memory.aspx
demonstrate how WebKit-based browsers in the past have struggled with
not cleaning up properly after itself. That test was done on Windows,
but http://blog.pavlov.net/2008/03/11/firefox-3-memory-usage/ mentions
how recent Gecko at least (don't know about WebKit) use same memory
allocator on Windows and Linux.

- --