[Sugar-devel] SoaS on XO bootcharts

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Tue Mar 3 17:57:33 EST 2009

For my OLPC/XO-1 laptop these days, I'm using the Sugar-on-a-Stick
kickstart files[1]. I want my XO to boot fast, not because I boot it a
lot, but because it boots really, really slowly right now.  So I
installed bootchart, changed olpc.fth to use it, rebooted, and voila,
got this chart:

http://www.martindengler.com/proj/soas/Soas-200903022241-bootchart.png

Then I edited /etc/bootchartd.conf to use process accounting, and got
this chart:

http://www.martindengler.com/proj/soas/Soas-200903022241-bootchart-psacct.png

I booted without my SD card (which isn't the boot device - I'm booting
off NAND) inserted, and got this chart:

http://www.martindengler.com/proj/soas/Soas-200903022241-bootchart-psacct-nosdcard.png

So there's some work to do to fix some SD card badness...

Meanwhile, looks like I should get more familiar with rc.sysinit.

The data for the above charts are all available at:

http://www.martindengler.com/proj/soas

I figured some people might be interested in this.  Thanks to
sdziallas, erikos, marcopg, and the whole SoaS team for their great
work.

Martin

1. slightly modified to add more personally-interesting RPMs,
including bootchart:
http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/soas/repos/mtds-clone/blobs/soas-devxo/soas-developer.ks