[Sugar-devel] design bugs and unimplemented features (was Re: easier installation of soas)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Mar 2 03:55:20 EST 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 02:20, Eben Eliason <eben at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 8:12 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 2 Mar 2009, at 00:21, Caroline Meeks wrote:
>>
>>> Point of clarification.
>>>
>>> The next sticks we are getting will not be randomly given out to
>>> people.
>>>
>>> We are going to use them for:
>>>
>>> 1. Working with classes of kids at computer labs for an hour or two.
>>> In an ideal world we could let them keep their stick so they could
>>> work on thier project after the class is over.  We hope to get
>>> testing and publicity from these events.
>>> 2. Giving out at FOSS VT. A conference for educators interested in
>>> Free and Open Source Software. I'd like to see if we can get people
>>> back channeling the conference through Sugar Chat and shared write.
>>
>> Just a word of warning on Write, last time I tested (8.2,
>> 8.2.1,Write-60) it's still a 'master/slave' set-up when working
>> collaboratively. If you leave (say you go home, or switch off
>> wireless), do some more work on the write journal entry, and later
>> rejoin a master (i.e the document you had originally shared) – all
>> your changes are wiped as they get re-synced with whatever is on the
>> current master. Who ever gets to be master of a previously shared
>> write session first, gets to keep their work, every one else looses.
>>
>> Very bad usage case would be:
>>
>> - teacher get 5 kids to start a shared assay project in class together
>> about hobbies
>> - then tasks them to each add a new section about their own hobby as
>> homework
>> - next day... first kid that boots up and resumes their entry will be
>> master
>> - other 4 kids arrive, resume... and all get their homework auto-wiped
>> by kid number 1
>>
>> Fail.
>>
>> This is one of the reasons I don't like the design mantra of, "once
>> shared you have no private control of that activity any more" (i.e.
>> you can never un-share an activity). And combined with the Journal
>> auto-keeping, you work is wiped and then auto-saved as wiped, if you
>> had the foresight to make an extra 'kept' copy before you came to
>> school, don't risk ever resuming it with your network active, or it
>> may be wiped as well.
>
> This sounds like a pretty substantial Sugar bug. It's the reason that
> I've been adamant that we need to introduce the notion of versions,
> and that an (activity_id, version_id) tuple serve as the unique
> identifier of a running activity instance.  In this manner, the saved
> copies of the "slaves" would take on different version_id, and Sugar
> would recognize them as distinct from the running "master" when
> resumed, and open them separately (to make copy/paste merge possible).
>
> It sounds like this bug should be added to the list for the next
> release.  (We can keep a version identifier of sorts without true
> versioning...)

Please start entering feature requests in trac and btw, change the
subject of the thread when needed.

We are getting very good ideas for 0.86 features but we have little
manpower to actually implement them. So if we don't make a big effort
in tracking these ideas, prioritizing them and setting a strategy, we
risk forgetting about good stuff and end up implementing
not-as-important stuff.

Thanks,

Tomeu

>>> 505-213-3268 - Fax