[Sugar-devel] Full Licence field

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun Mar 1 18:53:34 EST 2009

[cc += fedora-devel@]

Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> <quote who="Simon Schampijer" date="Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 01:06:19PM +0100">
>> we did show a full license in the Control Panel before. The path was
>> hard coded to where OLPC had placed the GPL license. What can we do to
>> meet the expectations of all the distributions that want to ship sugar?
>
> It would be a great thing if we got the major distributions to agree on
> a place to put common licenses. Debian puts them in
> '/usr/share/common-licenses'.  I don't know where Red Hat puts them.

RedHat does not optimize common licenses at all.

Each package bears a copy of its own license, which is typically
installed in /usr/share/doc/<pkgname>/COPYING or similar.

> If we got agreement in those two places and on a list of common licenses
> (even if one group just decides to symlink), we could get a majority of
> distributions once the changes propogate.

Seems like a great idea to me... But I think it already came up some
time ago, and I vaguely remember that RH legal blocked it because the
license itself -- not just a symlink to it -- had to accompany the
package.

--
   // Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
 \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://www.sugarlabs.org/